Cocoa, Forests & Peace (CB&P) is a public-private initiative aiming to promote deforestation-free cocoa production models that protect and restore forests in the cocoa value chain, improve livelihoods for producers and help consolidate the peace process in Colombia.Read more...
What do we do?
Cocoa, Forest & Peace (CB&P) is a public-private initiative aiming to promote deforestation-free cocoa production models that protect and restore forests in the cocoa value chainRead more...
Colombia is the first country in Latin America to join the World Cocoa Foundation – WCF – Global Cocoa & Forests Initiatives with a clear commitment to have a zero-deforestation cocoa value chain and to improve the quality of life of cocoa farmers in the priority areas for the implementation of the Peace Agreement.Read more...
Our Action Plan 2030 is divided into five strategic outcomes to guide our efforts.
This outcome seeks to develop by 2030 a model of public-private territorial alliances for the technical accompaniment of producers, a research agenda developed to guarantee better cocoa productivity in agroforestry arrangements, guidelines for planting and buying cocoa with zero deforestation adopted by the industry.
- Model(s) of public-private territorial alliances implemented with technical accompaniment.
- Research agenda developed to guarantee better cocoa productivity in agroforestry arrangements.
- Guidelines for planting and buying cocoa with zero deforestation adopted by the industry.
The financial instruments must respond to the new economic and rural reality of the country and to the climatic and environmental conditions. The second outcome aims to promote and appropriate financial instruments that consolidate zero deforestation cocoa models that include innovative investment strategies for the cocoa sector. Emphasis is also placed on financial inclusion to improve the living conditions of rural communities.
- Sustainability criteria incorporated into existing financial instruments.
- Training in credit and other financial instruments, including innovative instruments.
- Barriers to financial instruments overcome.
- Monitoring, traceability and accompaniment scheme for credits and financial instruments.
The Initiative will have a monitoring system that allows for the accounting of positive impacts, the generation of alerts, and the measurement of the Initiative’s efforts. In addition, the sytem will verify progress in compliance with agreements and document zero deforestation cocoa production for the Initiative’s projects. The System will be articulated with the Strategy against Cadmium promoted by the National Government and will be implemented in the territories prioritized by the Initiative.
- Indicators of the Monitoring and Verification System identified.
- Producers, associations, industry and other entities as trained information providers.
- Monitoring, Verification and Traceability System replicated for all the prioritized territories.
This outcome seeks to design a strategy to strengthen cocoa institutions with an emphasis on zero-deforestation cocoa production models that integrate the conservation, management and restoration of forest and water resources at a landscape scale. The strategy will consolidate a reliable and transparent traceability scheme implemented for accountability. Thus, in 10 years, we will have a strengthened cocoa value chain at all levels with ownership of the topics related to the Initiative.
- Strategy to strengthen cocoa institutions with emphasis on zero cocoa production models and restoration.
- Strengthening strategy for local and regional associative organizations, CARs and SINA Institutes to strengthen cocoa agroforestry alternatives.
- National Cacao Council strengthened on issues related to cocoa, forests and peace.
- Reliable and transparent traceability scheme implemented for accountability.
The fifth outcome of the Action Plan aims at designing a strategy focused on positioning special cocoa, cocoa finos de aroma, cocoa associated with zero-deforestation and biodiversity protection, among others. The positioning of Colombian cocoa will be supported by the Monitoring and Traceability System.
- Communication and transparency strategy that positions special Colombian cocoa as a cocoa of good practices.